You can collect unemployment (UE) benefits while on Workers’ Comp. To qualify for UE: you must demonstrate recent substantial attachment to the labor market; must be out of work through no fault of your own; and you must be ready, willing, and able to work and must be actively seeking employment.

This means that if you’re not totally disabled because of your work related injury you can look for work within your medical restrictions and collect UE.

You can apply online at Unemployment Insurance Benefits Online

So if you’re on Workers’ Comp. and eligible for UE, you should apply. Please come back for my next post in which I will discuss company doctors and why you should seek treatment for your work related injury from a doctor of your own choosing.

Thanks for reading,

Eric L. Johnson
Ziff, Weiermiller, Hayden & Mustico, LLP
303 William St., Elmira, NY 14902
Tel: (607) 733-8866
Fax: (607) 732-6062
Toll Free: 1-800-943-3529