Mileage reimbursement may not seem like an exciting topic, but I’m here to tell you that this benefit can add up to real money that can make all the difference if you’re struggling to make ends meet on Comp. It never ceases to amaze me how many Workers’ Comp claimants, represented and unrepresented, don’t know that they’re eligible for mileage reimbursement.

Workers’ Comp claimants are entitled to mileage reimbursement round-trip from their homes to all medical, chiropractic and therapy treatment for their work related injuries (mileage to and from the pharmacy, the court and your attorney’s office are not reimbursable). The reimbursement rate from July 1, 2008 to January 1, 2009 was 58.5 cents per mile. The reimbursement rate after January 1, 2009 is 55 cents per mile.

Mileage is to be put on form C-257, commonly known as the M & T form, which refers to the fact that this form is to be used for both medical and travel expense reimbursement. We counsel our clients to submit the completed form to us and to let us know if they haven’t been paid in 6 weeks (45 days is the industry standard for mileage reimbursement). We submit the form to the insurance carrier and the Workers’ Compensation Board. If our client hasn’t been paid in 6 weeks, we’ll contact the carrier and if necessary we’ll request a hearing before a Workers’ Compensation Law Judge.

Thanks for reading,

Eric L. Johnson, Esq.
Workers’ Compensation and Social Security Disability Attorney
Ziff Law Firm, LLP
303 William St., Elmira, NY 14902
Tel: (607) 733-8866
Fax: (607) 732-6062
Toll Free: 1-800-943-3529