A 49-year-old Canisteo man was tragically killed Friday night when his snowmobile crashed in the Town of West Union in Steuben County, according to a news report.
The Steuben County Sheriff’s Office said David Price was ejected from his snowmobile when it went over an embankment.
He was transported to St. James Hospital in Hornell, then Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, where he died, deputies said.
Price was not wearing a helmet, deputies said.
County Undersheriff James Allard offered a few tips for Twin Tiers riders from Steuben east to Chemung and Tioga, N.Y., counties, and our Northern Tier counties, Bradford and Tioga, Pa.
- Stick to trails and lanes that are designated for snowmobiles.
- Be aware of fences, ditches and other obstructions that could cause the machine to flip.
- Never ride a snowmobile while impaired.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Use machines and designated paths in line with your experience level.
- Never operate a machine under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Learn more about snowmobiling in New York State here.
Learn more about Pennsylvania snowmobiling here.
Learn more about safe snowmobiling here.
And join the Safe Riders! Snowmobile Safety Awareness Program!
Thanks for reading,