Millions of Americans are attacked and bitten by animals every year. Dog bites alone account for an estimated $1 billion in monetary damages to victims. Sadly, many victims of dog bites are children.
Recovering damages for victims of dog-related attacks and injuries can be long, painful and expensive. Fortunately, an experienced New York/Pennsylvania dog bite attorney can help victims recover damages to cover medical treatments, medications, psychological counseling, and lost wages. Who can be held accountable for dog attacks? Claims can be made against the dog’s owner, the dog owner’s insurance company and, in some cases, third parties whose negligence may have caused or contributed to the injuries.
What should you do if a dog has injured you? Here are a few tips:
- Seek immediate medical attention
- Contact the police (or your local dog control officer) about your injury and request a copy of their report
- Obtain the name, address, phone number and other contact information of the dog’s owner, if possible
- Attempt to get names and contact information from any witnesses to the attack
- Take photographs of the animal responsible and the area where the attack occurred
- Take photographs of your injuries
- Set aside and save any clothing, personal property or other items that were damaged in the attack
In addition, you should contact us as soon as possible for legal representation. Although we are dog lovers ourselves, sad to say that some dogs can be VERY dangerous and we have had the unfortunate experience of representing people who have been brutally mauled by nasty dogs. Many times our investigations have revealed that dog owners were very much aware of the dangerous nature of their dog’s behavior but took no meaningful steps to protect the general public or our clients. In those cases, we have been able to secure substantial financial settlements on behalf of our clients.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a dog attack or bite in New York or Pennsylvania, please call us today at 800-ZIFFLAW and we will be happy to explain your legal rights and options. You can also email us at [email protected].